We were very excited to find out that SPOT Satellite Trackers will be getting an update very soon in the form of the SPOT Gen3. This is NOT intended to replace SPOT 2 or even the Spot Connect, but to provide a great compliment to the Gen2 in the SPOT Family of products with an all new design and most of the key features that our customers have been asking you all for.
We’re most excited about 2 features that will make a great tool for riders even better. The first feature is the ability to do away with battery replacement thanks to the addition of USB Power availablity. Next is the motion sensing feature that turns on the tracking when you are moving, and turns it off when you’ve stopped moving for a perioud of time.
There are even more great features getting rolled out with the Gen3 and we’ve listed them below.
Enhanced Services ONLY available with SPOT Gen3:
SPOT Gen3‘s customised tracking features take your SPOT experience to the next level. Only with SPOT Gen3, is tracking motion-activated regardless of the level of tracking you choose (Basic, Unlimited or Extreme). A vibration sensor tells your SPOT to send track updates when you are moving and to stop when you do. This is a great new battery-saving feature!
New Tracking Options:
Unlimited Tracking: Set it and forget it. Pre-set your SPOT Gen3 to send tracks at the speed of your adventures. Change your tracks to send every 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes. SPOT Gen3 will send tracks at your chosen rate for as long as your device is turned on and moving (no need to re-set after 24 hours). Tracking doesn’t stop until you do.
With a clear view of the sky and a single set of Lithium 8x batteries, the following battery life can be expected (assuming ~9hrs of constant movement per day):
- 2.5min Interval: 20 days
- 5.0min Interval: 25 days
- 10min Interval: 45 days
- 30min Interval: 50 days
Extreme Tracking: Get all of the great features of Unlimited Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to every 2 ½ minutes. Don’t miss a step with increased track rates!
- Compact and light weight; Weighing only 3.2 oz. (with batteries), it packs easily for traveling.
- Long Battery Life: choose from Lithium or rechargeable batteries; or line-power the unit through its USB port.
- New Tracking Options: now you can choose the rate of tracking that suits your adventure (2 ½, 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Motion Activated Tracking: now your SPOT knows when you’re moving and when you stop to make camp. When SPOT Gen3 senses you’ve stopped for an extended period of time it will stop sending track messages until you start moving again.
- New Contoured Shape: the new design allows you to easily attach your SPOT to your bag, boat or vehicle allowing SPOT to go wherever you do
- Height: 3.43″ (8.72 cm)
- Width: 2.56″ (6.5 cm)
- Thickness: 1″ (2.54 cm)
- Weight: 4.0 oz (114g) with Lithium batteries
- Operating Temp: -30C to 60C (-22F to 140F)
- Operating Altitude: -100m to +6,500m(-328ft to +21,320ft)
- Humidity Rated: MIL-STD-810F, Method 507.3, 95% to 100% cond.
- Vibration Rated Per SAE J1455
- Battery Type: 4 AAA Energizer™ Lithium Ultimate 8X or 4 AAA Energizer™ NiMH Rechargeable
Get all of the great features of Unlimited Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to every 2 ½ minutes. Don’t miss a step with increased track rates!